Summer Practices for Forklift Maintenance in Abilene, TXSeptember 5, 2018 10:47 pm Leave your thoughts
It’s summertime, and while you might be enjoying the hot, sunny weather, your equipment might be struggling in the heat. Though forklifts and other types of warehouse equipment are designed to withstand high temperatures and heavy use, it’s important that you keep up on regular maintenance and service to keep your equipment running efficiently and effectively throughout the year. Read on to find out more about what you can do to ensure effective equipment operation this summer:
- Check fluid levels: Just like any piece of mechanical equipment, forklifts need fluids to operate effectively and efficiently. Check your coolant level and top it off if you need to. Your coolant plays a vitally important role in your engine’s operation, especially in the hot summer months. You should also check the hoses and connections that circulate your coolant for holes and cracks, and replace any parts that are causing coolant to leak.
- Inspect fans and belts: In the summer, good airflow to your engine is essential to prevent overheating. Fans and belts circulate air to your engine to keep it cool while keeping coolant moving through your system. When you’re inspecting fans and belts, you should look for signs of excessive wear, such as cracks, holes and fraying. If you detect these issues, you should replace the defective parts as soon as possible to prevent mechanical breakdown.
- Change your oil: You should check your forklift’s oil level on an ongoing schedule and make sure to get regular oil changes. Always use the recommended oil type for your specific forklift to optimize performance and promote proper functioning.
- Look for corrosion: Fluctuating temperatures and humidity levels can cause corrosion in your forklift’s cables and wiring. You should check your forklift’s wiring for signs of damage or corrosion that might inhibit operation. If you find faulty wires, it’s important to have them changed before you operate your forklift again. Using machinery with damaged wiring may cause your forklift to stop working abruptly, and may also contribute to an increased fire risk.
- Balance battery levels: When temperatures rise, the water inside your forklift battery starts to evaporate. After several weeks of exposure, this evaporation can shorten the lifespan of your battery. Make sure to check the fluid levels in your battery cells to ensure that there is still plenty of water. If the levels are low, you can refill the cells using water with pH levels that are appropriate for your specific battery.
Forklift service in Abilene, TX
Your warehouse equipment is a major investment, so you want to make sure that it is cared for properly. When you get forklift service in Abilene, TX from V-Bar Equipment Company, you can feel confident that you are getting the highest-quality maintenance and repairs possible. Our team has been offering forklift service, sales and rentals since 1993, and we continue to cultivate an outstanding reputation among our customers. We are proud to be a locally owned company with a dedication to delivering quality customer service. Find out more about what we can do for you by giving us a call today.
Categorised in: Forklift Maintenance, Forklift Service
This post was written by Writer